How to install and secure your deck boards
The upper surface of deck boards and exposed accessories has a brushed finish, to imitate the appearance of wood and increase grip. The non-brushed surface must not be uppermost.
During installation, we recommend laying all boards with the brushed finish in the same direction, to reduce colour differences from board to board.
- It is important to maintain lateral spacing of 5 mm between the boards. This gap will be ensured by using clips. Pay attention to maintaining this gap if you are using exposed screws.
- It is important to maintain lengthwise spacing of 5 mm between the boards. Check this spacing using the plastic expansion spacers provided with the clips.
- In addition to clips, boards less than 2 m in length must be attached to the joists at one end, using either screws or nails inserted from above.
- For short boards (< 80 cm), use at least three support and fixing points.
- The ends of each board must be fixed to a joist in order to eliminate any risk of deformation or breakage. Any overhang must not exceed 25 mm.
- Do not place screws within 25 mm of the edge of the board, to avoid splitting.
- Use of glue is strongly discouraged, for reasons of ventilation, expansion and contraction.
- Do not use too much torque when tightening screws. We recommend testing beforehand on a board off-cut.
- For the best results, we recommend beginning installation next to a building wall, and evening up the far ends using a circular saw and a ruler.
- Where boards are butted, make sure the ends are resting properly and stably on the joists, cutting them to length if necessary.
- We recommend staggering butted joints, for aesthetic reasons.
Attaching your decking with permanent clips:
The single fastening clip and butting clip help maintain a minimum lateral gap of 5 mm between boards.
To ensure the correct gap is achieved, the clip must be properly bedded into the groove, without forcing. Do not use a different brand of clip.
For an aluminium structure: the screws supplied with the stainless steel clips must be replaced with the Ø4 mm countersunk stainless steel self-tapping screws supplied with SILVADEC® aluminium joists.
For galvanized steel structures: the screws supplied with the stainless steel clips must be replaced with countersunk galvanised steel self-tapping screws no bigger than Ø4 mm (not supplied).
- For more information, see PU7